Dispute Resolution CPD and Microcredential Short Courses
Short courses in mediation are offered three times a year in line with Bond's three-semester year enabling timely completion and faster accreditation. All mediation courses are approved by the Mediator Standards Board and FDR courses are recognised by the Attorney General's Office.
In the wider community, the Centre for Dispute Resolution (CDR) delivers a range of specialist courses, workshops and seminars for individuals seeking to develop their mediation skills. The Centre has exceptional educational capabilities and can specifically tailor training to suit the needs of legal specialists and other professionals from a range of different backgrounds and experience levels. Courses can be delivered both on-campus and in-house as well as locally, nationally and internationally.
The CDR aims to strengthen its global reputation as a mediation and dispute resolution leader. The Centre actively seeks progressive research opportunities and provides keynote speakers for international conferences to uphold Bond’s standing among the world’s great universities.
NMAS Mediation Accreditation Courses
- Duration: 5 days
- Cost: $2970 (including GST)
- Location: Online via Zoom
This online Mediation Training 1: Process and Skills will equip participants with essential knowledge and skills for mediators and Family Dispute Resolution Practitioners. Participants will acquire and apply knowledge and skills about the facilitative model of mediation and the role and function of mediators, support persons and other professionals. Participants will explore and interrogate ethical and professional obligations as they apply to mediators and family dispute resolution practitioners. Topics including cross-cultural issues, power, emotion, impartiality, violence, current law, ethics and professionalism will be explored through workshop modules, practical role-plays, and case studies. Participants will then have the opportunity to apply knowledge and skills in simulated mediation role-plays with the support of professional and experienced coaches.
Having successfully completed both this course and the subsequent Mediation Training 2: Practice and Assessment, participants will be eligible to apply for NMAS accreditation.
Note: Successful completion of Mediation Training 1 and 2 enables participants to apply for accreditation as a mediator through the Mediation Standards Board.
Course information | Dates
The five-day course will be held online via the Zoom platform. The next course will be held in September 2022. If you are interested, please click on the Expression of Interest link below.
21 - 25 September 2022: For expressions of interest please click here
Duration: 2 days
Cost: $1,900 (including GST)
Pre-requisites: Completion of the Mediation Short Course
Location: Online, via Zoom
This online Mediation Training 2: Practice and Assessment builds on and consolidates the foundational knowledge and skills acquired in the online Mediation Course. This course involves the practical application of knowledge and skills within the context of facilitative mediation through intensive practice with feedback from coaches followed by an assessable online mediation simulation. Having successfully completed both this course and the NMAS Mediation Course, participants will be eligible to apply for NMAS accreditation.
Note: Successful completion of Mediation Training 1 and 2 enables participants to apply for National Mediator Accreditation.
Course information | Dates
The two-day course will be held online via the Zoom platform. The next course will be held in October 2022. If you are interested, in the course, please click the link below.
- 14 - 15 October 2022: For expressions of interest please click here
After the completion of each course, a certificate of letter of attendance will be issued to participants, providing all requirements have been completed.
A summary of accreditation requirements is given below. Students are responsible to research the requirements for accreditation and for applying to the relevant bodies.
National accredited mediator
The Mediation short courses offered by the Centre for Dispute Resolution meets the threshold training, education and assessment requirements for National Mediator Accreditation as set out in the Approval Standards in the National Mediator Accreditation System. National accreditation may be obtained by:
- Completing Mediation Training 1: Process and Skills
- Completing Mediation Training 2: Practice and Assessment
- Applying to a Registered Mediator Accreditation Body for registration
For more information on becoming a mediator please review the Mediator Standards Board website.
Once you have received notification of your successful assessment you will need to apply to a Recognised Mediator Accreditation Body (RMAB) within 6 months for accreditation. It is important to note that completion of both courses within 24 months is compulsory to meet the National Mediator Accreditation conditions. Completion of these courses does not guarantee work as a mediator or FDR Practitioner. Participants should also consult with the accrediting and/or registration bodies to ensure they have met any additional requirements.
There is a restriction on numbers at all Centre for Dispute Resolution courses. Registrations are accepted only when full payment is made.
Cancellation by the CDR
- The Centre reserves the right to cancel or reschedule courses at its discretion.
- In the event that a course is cancelled, participants will be advised no less than five (5) working days prior to the course starting.
- Participants will be given the option of transferring their registration free of charge to the next available course in the first instance. At the request of the participant, a full refund may be available.
Cancellation by Participant
- If a participant elects to cancel their enrolment in a course, cancellation fees will apply as follows:
- More than 15 business days prior to the start of a course – transfer to the next available course or a full refund.
- Cancellations within 5 business days prior to the start of a course are not eligible for a refund. However, participants may apply to transfer to the next available course. Full refunds may be provided under exceptional circumstances at the discretion of the Centre.
- Once a course has commenced, refunds or transfers are no longer available and registration fees are forfeited.
- Participants may only transfer their registration once. If unable to attend the second offering, and notification is received within 5 days of the course commencement, the registration fees will be forfeited.
If you have any questions regarding the short courses offered by the Centre for Dispute Resolution, please do not hesitate to contact us via email at [email protected] or call on (07) 5595-2039.