Join your passion of sport and business
The Bond Sports Management program is delivered by leading experts in sport management, marketing, law, business and public relations. Enhance your career in the various areas of the global sport industry such as professional sport clubs, elite athlete development, sport agencies, community sport, governing bodies, media, marketing, tourism, event management and more.
The Bond Bachelor of Sports Management is an accelerated 2 year program, allowing students to graduate earlier and begin their career sooner.
Immersed in the industry
What our students say
- Significant practical industry experience and networking opportunities through work placements
- Connections with national organisations such as the AIS, AFL, ARU, the World Surf League and Australian Olympic Committee
- Access to elite athletes and sporting teams through Bond's membership with the Australian Sport Commission’s Elite Athlete Friendly University Agreement
About the program
Bond University’s Bachelor of Sports Management is designed and delivered by leading experts in sport, law, business, and public relations. You will be equipped with a strong foundation in contemporary business skills in addition to unique areas of sport specific practices. Show more
Bond University’s Bachelor of Sports Management is designed and delivered by leading experts in sport, law, business, and public relations. You will be equipped with a strong foundation in contemporary business skills in addition to unique areas of sport specific practices. Your subjects will focus on areas that include managing high performance sport, sport governance, business strategies, sport law, event management, sport marketing, negotiation, finance, sport tourism, risk management, sport public relations, and organisational leadership. This will enable you to forge careers in numerous areas of the sport industry such as sporting bodies, sports governance, event management, sports marketing or working with sporting teams, clubs and players. The program places a strong emphasis on practical experience through internships and work integrated learning Show less
|Duration||6 semesters (2 years)|
|Program type||Bachelors Degree|
|Study area||Business and Commerce, Sport|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
The Bond University Bachelor of Sports Management program has been designed to equip you with a broad knowledge of business, marketing and management, as well as possessing the unique skills and experience required for sport specific careers.
You will be able to seek employment in a range of settings in the multi-faceted sport industry at local, national and international levels. These may include:
- Professional sporting teams, leagues and affiliated organisations
- Community service organisations
- Government sport and recreation services
- Local, state and national sports governing bodies
- Major event corporations
- Sport venue management
- High performance sport development and player management
- Sport advertising, media relations, sponsorship and marketing
- Apparel and merchandising companies
- Logistics, compliance and financial operations
The Bachelor of Sports Management program comprises 24 subjects, as follows:
University core subjects (3)
- CORE11-001 Critical Thinking and Communication (CORE 1)
- CORE11-002 Leadership and Team Dynamics (CORE 2)
- CORE11-003 Ethical Thought and Action (CORE 3)
Compulsory subjects (19)
- Sport Organisation, Governance and Policy (SPMT11-115)
- Sport Development (SPMT12-121)
- Business Law (LAWS10-100)
- Social Media Tactics (PUBR12-100)
- Sport Information (SPMT12-103)
- Asset and Facilities Management (SSUD12-304)
- Sports Law (LAWS13-543)
- Human Resource Management (MGMT13-305)
- Sport Marketing (SPMT13-112)
- Negotiation (MGMT13-321)
- Event Management (SPMT11-103)
- High Performance Sport Management (SPMT13-125)
- Communication Research (COM12-213)
- Strategy and Change in Sport (SPMT12-108)
- Global Sport Industry (SPMT12-124)
- WHS Risk Management (HRTM12-12)
- Personal Finance (FINC13-308)
- Sport Public Relations (PUBR13-314)
Elective subjects (3)
Complete three (3) of the following options:
- Professional Experience Sport Management (SPMT13-700)
- 2 Bond University electives
- 3 Bond University electives
*Subject names and structure may change
Program structure and sequencing
Please visit Program Structure and Sequencing for guidance on study plans.
The Bachelor of Sports Management program is comprised of a combination of lectures, tutorials, seminars, workshops, case studies, field trips, examinations, presentations, internship and industry projects. Students benefit from the extensive professional experience of academic staff in a range of fields, as well as their professional networks.
The program places an emphasis on real-world experience from the first semester. Many of the subjects within the program include industry based assessment activities that are delivered in conjunction with the sporting industry. This inclusion of small but real projects mirrors the real world in which graduates will be employed and enables students to develop their competencies as professionals.
Visiting guests with extensive industry experience will also participate in field trips, workshops and lectures to provide students with insight into the practice requirements and career opportunities of the various professions.
The total program fees for the Bachelor of Sports Management are:
When considering the fees associated with your studies, keep in mind that Bond’s accelerated schedule means you can finish your degree sooner and be out in the workforce up to a year earlier than if you went to another university.
This time saving also represents a substantial reduction in accommodation and living costs, plus a full year of extra earnings.
Applicants with recent secondary education (within the past two years)
Applicants must meet the University's general minimum admission criteria.
In the January semester 2017 there were fewer than five OP/ATAR offers made in this program hence comparative information on previous OP/ATAR intake scores is not reliable.
Visit our student profile if you are interested in the profile of all students who commenced undergraduate study at Bond University in the January semester 2017.
International Secondary School students
For more information for International Students, including the International Baccalaureate, please go to the International Secondary School equivalency page.
Alternative entry pathways
For those applicants who do not currently have the required academic qualifications, there are a number of alternative entry pathways:
- Bond University Tertiary Preparation programs
- Bond University Diploma programs
- Other institutional Tertiary Preparation Programs
- Vocational education and training qualifications (Certificate IV and above)
- Prior higher education experience (at this university or another)
- Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT)
- Professional or para-professional qualifications/experience
- Employment experience verified by a statement of service from the employer stating the position title and length of service and a very brief statement on the tasks undertaken.
For more information on what is required please visit our how to apply page.
English language proficiency requirements
As tuition is delivered in English, all students will be required to provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English language proficiency requirements for university study.
Credit for prior study
Subject credits may be awarded for previous studies. To apply for credits, you will need to submit academic transcripts including detailed subject outlines/course descriptions for each relevant subject and/or certified copies of testamurs to the Office of Future Students. Please refer to how to apply for credit for more information
How to apply
Throughout this degree, you will have the opportunity to gain significant practical industry experience and networking opportunities through work placements.
Bond University enjoys relationships with an extensive network of sporting partners which range from amateur sporting organisations through to elite high performance teams. Through these networks, the program includes regular industry-based assessment activities and culminates in an internship component where you can gain
valuable insight into the practice requirements and career opportunities of the global sporting industry.
Bond University Sports Management students have conducted their industry experience with a varied range of sport organisations. Bond continues to expand its network of relationships in this sphere, a selection of which is listed below:
- Australian Olympic Committee
- Australian Institute of Sport
- Australian Football League
- Australian Rugby Union
- Australian Sports Commission
- Australian University Games
- Baseball Queensland
- Events Management Queensland
- Gold Coast City Council
- Netball Queensland
- Queensland Academy of Sport
- Skate Australia
- World Rugby
- World Surf League
Throughout the program, students are also encouraged to further their career pathways by undertaking as much voluntary work in the sport sector as possible in order to develop both their practical skills and build industry networks for career opportunities.
Bond University is a member of the Australian Sport Commission’s Elite Athlete Friendly University Agreement (EAFUA). Through this agreement, Bond is dedicated to supporting elite athletes in the balanced pursuit of their academic and sporting goals by introducing more flexible academic regulations and requirements for elite student athletes.Read more